(above) Along Coolgaree Bay on Palm Island

Located 65km north of Townsville in Queensland, Palm Island was established in 1918 to replace the Hull River Mission near Tully which had been extensively damaged by a cyclone. Over two decades, 1630 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people from many different groups throughout Australia were sent there.

In 1957 there was a strike by residents over Department of Aboriginal and Islander Affairs’ cuts to wages and treatment of women. The reaction of the DAIA was to expel 25 who were considered ringleaders, along with their families. The 1996 census population of Palm Island was 1946.

Palm Island has DOGIT status and its own community council.

Councillors of Palm Island Community:

  • Chairperson: Erikah Kyle
  • Deputy Chair: Rosina Norman
  • Cr Nathaniel Prior
  • Cr Magdalena Blackley
  • Cr Zacchias Sam
  • Cr Raymond Roberts
  • Cr Margaret Conway
  • Council Clerk: Lilly Lampton

Palm Island Aboriginal Council
C/- Post Office
Palm Island QLD 4816

Telephone: (07) 4770 1177
Facsimile: (07) 4770 1241

 

Categories: comm

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *